VIC Subclass 189 NZ stream

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anky21

20 February 2021
I am a NZ citizen living in Melbourne for the past 5 years.

I have a question about my eligibility for the above mentioned pathway for PR.

The visa requires for the person to be usually resident in Australia on or before 19th feb 2016. I did some research on the meaning of the phrase 'usually resident' and it seems an intent to make that place your permanent home may be considered valid

The reason i ask this is because i arrived in Australia on the 26th February but i had already been in the process of moving here for two months prior. I had also visited Melbourne in December 2015 to look for potential jobs/places to move to. I resigned from my job in Auckland in the last week of January'16 . I also opened a bank account with commbank before 19th February.

But my resignation letter in Auckland and the bank account opening letter are the only proofs i have to make my case.

If i had known that such law is going to come into effect, I'd have moved earlier.

Do i still have a case to make and if so how likely do you think it will be accepted? I tick all the other requirements for this pathway.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Regards