VIC Strata took my car, it got destroyed by fire, cost me my job now. Help

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
12 May 2019
Long ridiculously dodgy story short.
I recently moved to Melbourne for a big job, I was visiting a new friend at a strata run apartment building, parked in one of the many empty designated visitor car spaces in the access controlled basement carpark. Several hours later I said my goodbyes and went to get my car and go, only to find all the visitors parks empty my car was gone! And I was now stuck in the basement. I called the ph number on the home made sign on the wall. Number disconnected. After not knowing where my car was for 10 hrs in the cold. I managed to get hold of my friend that lived there and got the strata managers number. Called him and he said your car got towed because you have been warned not to park there numerous times over the last few months. To which I responded with the fact I had not even been in Victoria for two weeks and never spoken to anyone from that building ever bin my life besides the person I was visiting. Anyway he refused to give me tow companies number and hung up on me. Another 18hrs part before I finally got him to answer his phone. He said the tow company will call me straight away. They did. And informed me that my bnb car was destroyed by fire whilst on the tow truck !!! With not no how or why it was even towed in the first place. It's been close on a month now, I'm still in a hire car that the tow company is finally paying for. I lost the massive job that i moved here for and now dont have a job, no idea when the tow company is going to do anything as they dont answer my calls. I can't even go back to NSW every lawyer I have called or filled out online forms all say this is not their field. I have all the evidence any lawyer could ask for including the strata companies own policies that they have well and truly breached. The tow mob dont want to use their insurance so apparently want me to choose a car from their brothers dodgy car yard. I just need help seriously I have spent days on the phone getting the run around or getting no where. Am I supposed to just die here because I parked exactly where I was supposed to? Yes this is the short version. So much more dodgy goings on it's just rediculous

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
How much was your car worth?

You may have a claim against both the strata manager and the towing company. If you want proper advice you will need to pay a lawyer.

12 May 2019
How much was your car worth?

You may have a claim against both the strata manager and the towing company. If you want proper advice you will need to pay a lawyer.
Market value 10 to 14k
Now that its cost me my job I would be homeless if my mate didn't put me up for free

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
You should report it to the Police before anything else. Technically, the vehicle has been stolen.

Reactions: StratadestroyedmyVE
12 May 2019
You should report it to the Police before anything else. Technically, the vehicle has been stolen.
I called the cops that day and was just told by the officer who took the call
" we dont deal with issues such as this civil matter, try calling a lawyer"
I attempted to explain to her in more detail thinking she must have misunderstood why I was calling the police. Didn't even attempt to listen was too busy telling me that police dont get involved with civil matters.
Be a different story if I stole the strata managers car and it got destroyed !

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Where exactly was the tow truck when this fire happened? Was it in transit on a public road? If so, then that alone should be a Police matter. Somewhere along the line, the fire itself needs to be investigated, whether it happened on a road or back at the yard, in which case it's a workplace accident. The point is, it needs to be investigated and that's bad news for the tow company.

Don't call, go into the Police station and speak to someone in person. The fire should have been investigated straight away. "Normally", I don't see how a car parked safely for however long catches fire all on it's own after being put on a tow truck.

BUT - and it's a big but, being a VE Commodore, I know of one way that this is definately possible - and it has happened before, no tow truck needed.

So one question - has anyone told you where the fire started? Front or rear of the car? If it was at the rear, then I can probably tell you how - and if I'm right, you could have a case against someone else entirely.