VIC Threat of Wheel Clamping in Visitor Park

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hello2202

14 November 2021
Hi I see my sister regularly at her apartment complex and sometimes stay for up to a few days at a time. I have been receiving notes from other tenants 'reminding' me that I am in a visitor park, and have been threatened by a tenant that 'body corporate said I am likely to have my car towed/clamped'. There is no specified time limit for the visitor parking, and no sign anywhere in the carpark or on the gate stating that any car may be clamped/towed. Does body corporate have the right to have my car clamped/towed or call the police to do so?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Does body corporate have the right to have my car

1. clamped - No
2. towed - Yes
3. call the police to do so - Yes

Remember the OC owns the land and can control its use (it is private property), not you. Your sister should clarify the use of visitor parking with the OC.

OC rules should state how long is reasonable, and it is completely up to the OC to determine what is reasonable - BUT - it should be in the rules.

Absent any rule, then you cannot be in breach of a non-existent rule. But play nice, make enquiries of the OC.

Last edited: