VIC Stay to .,,,,,, future date

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Vicgirl77

23 March 2023
I just had paperwork dropped off should say thrown at me by council officer the court order for fines I was given by the judge. (which I already had) under each charge it has the amount I was fined but it also states
Stay to 31/4/2024. Does that mean I have until that date to sort them out/ pay by??
In the attached letter from council prosecutor it states there payable immediately.
Information on this, is gratefully appreciated.
Thank you

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hard to say without seeing the actual documents,
(no, don't post them here), but
a stay is basically a period of time-delay
before whatever the order, penalty, etc takes effect (or, say, becomes enforceable)

Vicgirl77

23 March 2023
The form is the judges verdict on each charge
(I’m assuming) there numbered 1 to 4 states charge details then the fine amoun

Vicgirl77

23 March 2023
Accidentally posted without finishing.
Fine amount under each one. Then has
Stay to with the a ../../2024 date. This is stated under each charge & fine amount. I remember it being stated on the day but thought it only applied to certain fines/ prosecutors fees.
But it’s under each of them.
With that info is it pay by date or Ive got until that date to go into payment agreement??

Vicgirl77

23 March 2023
Also can I Appeal against criminal conviction getting added to my record when it was the first time conviction? Specially after getting charged with a normal on the spot fine!! “Failing to register a dog.” Which is just as confusing as the whole matter. I did plea guilty