WA Statutory Declaration for Family Law Visitation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


20 May 2015
Me and my ex partner have agreed to parent our 4-year-old for half the week each (custody of children). We are wanting to find out if we both fill in a statutory declaration and get it signed by a JP, will that hold up in the courts and by the police to act on if either parent refuse to hand child back on the agreed days?


Well-Known Member
23 July 2014
What you'll need to do is file consent orders with the court. No other documents will be enforceable by the court where parenting matters are concerned. You can find some more information here: Kits

Even though WA hasn't referred it's powers in family law to the federal court, I'm quite certain that state police are unable to intervene to ensure the enforcement of consent orders because it's a civil matter. If either party contravenes the orders, the other party can apply for a contravention order through the court.

Hope this helps.