Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Speeding Fines - Go To Court?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by unhappy, 11 June 2015.

  1. unhappy

    unhappy Member

    11 June 2015
    Likes Received:
    I was issued a speeding fine. The fine says: "your speed of 95 km/h exceeded the maximum speed limit of 207.1 km/h."

    Can I take this to court? They say the speed limit is 207.1 km, therefore how do know that the 95 is what I was actually travelling. Who says the police officer didn't get both wrong? I could not see what was on the camera.

    Would going to court be the answer?
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Usually its not that easy to get off on an error in your speeding ticket, but this does would tend to suggest that some automated aspect of the police' equipment is malfunctioning.
  3. Ozwarlock67

    Ozwarlock67 Well-Known Member

    16 April 2015
    Likes Received:
    It should be invalid on that point alone!! I'd contact the issuing authority and ask what the hell they're playing at!
  4. Rod

    Rod Well-Known Member

    27 May 2014
    Likes Received:
    You can try to get off on a technicality at court but it may not work. The police may withdraw the ticket and issue a new one or the Magistrate my ask the police to amend the charge before hearing the case.

    You can always tell the police to re-issue the ticket yourself to save time and effort.

    Personally I would go to court and self represent as I have the time, just to see how the system works. Might cost me a little more but a good learning experience.

    Else if you have enough spare points just pay up and get it over with.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page