VIC US Citizen Speeding Fines during Visit

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Adam US

11 July 2018
Hello,

I was visiting Australia in March 2018 and received four speeding tickets from traffic cameras. I didn't realize this until I was back in the US. I paid the first two (one from NSW, one from SA) as they didn't accept my reasoning for why I was speeding. The latest two fines are from VIC both going 10 km/h over the speed limit. What are my options here? I plan to eventually return to Australia but probably not in the next five years.

Appreciate any insight you may have.

Thanks!

Ponala

10 February 2015
Why did you pay the 1st two? They are going to chase you for them!!

Unpaid fines do not get registered with Border Force, so no issue coming in.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hello,

I was visiting Australia in March 2018 and received four speeding tickets from traffic cameras. I didn't realize this until I was back in the US. I paid the first two (one from NSW, one from SA) as they didn't accept my reasoning for why I was speeding. The latest two fines are from VIC both going 10 km/h over the speed limit. What are my options here? I plan to eventually return to Australia but probably not in the next five years.

Appreciate any insight you may have.

Thanks!
Hi,
The only excuse for speeding accepted if it was an emergency such as taking someone to hospital and also you need proof of that, not just stating so (this is my understanding),
my advice is to pay the fines, as you never what the future holds, it is not worth to screw something for less than USD 300.
I am not sure if they get recorded or not against your name, but why risk it?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Unpaid fines do not get registered with Border Force, so no issue coming in.
Unpaid infringements ("tickets", sometimes "penalty notices") don't.
Fines, if imposed by a court and left unpaid, almost always will be.