QLD Got caught speeding 47 km/h at 40 km/h zone

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

applettt

13 December 2016
Hi All,

I recently got caught speeding 47 km/h speeding at 40 km/h zone. Is there any possibility for me to reduce or perhaps get my fine waived in court? I believe I might be just completing a lane change when my speed go up to 47 km/h momentarily or with such small difference, the camera itself may not be fully accurate, which means I could be just speeding up to 43 km/h only at that time. Please let me know your thoughts

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Unless you can prove the camera is faulty or has not been correctly maintained you have no chance.

Not sure if QLD allows clean skins to receive a warning. Maybe see what others here say about you writing in for a warning to be issued instead.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Forget it - You will never rebut the presumption of accuracy of a speed camera.
Pay the fine and go get on with your life.

Lucaslly97

8 June 2018
In my experience, cameras are 3+NSW or 2+ in VIC don't know about QLD. meaning you won't get a fine with doing 3 over or 2 over the limit. Then it also accounts for the differences in many cars which adds another 3 to it. So if the camera has gotten you with 47, there is absolutely no way you are not doing 47 unless your km/h in your car broke.

OFF TOPIC:
That got me thinking when I ran some tests. I took a GPS and did 73 and it showed me doing 70. Then I took another car, did 70 and my gps showed 70. So when the camera accounts for +3 in NSW, I can say that I can do 76 in my first car and not get any problems. So combining some logic from above, +3 tolerance and 3 inaccuracy, safely I can do 73 in my first car and riskily do 76 in my first car without getting a fine but I have never tried 76 only 73 and it was safe. The app I use is Waze.

To simplify for everyone, if you use Waze, look at the gps speed and you can go 3(or 2 in VIC) over and no issues. Don't take my word though, I have only tried +1 over by accident.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Also your tyres can modify your speedo reading... lets say your tyres are just about worn out, then your spedo will register a sligtly faster speed than when the tyres were new. If you put new tyres on that are a larger diameter than the standard, your spedo will register a slower speed than you are actually doing.

It is also interesting to be aware that car manufacturers spedo has to meet Australian standards of accuracy, but yet that standard allows some small inaccuracy. Up until July 2006 the Australian Design Rules required new cars to have speedos that are accurate to within 10% of actual speed. The current Rules disallow under-reading, and permit over-reading by up to 4kmh + 10%.

The interesting part is, when it comes to handing you a fine, the above is not considered. Nice for people driving cars newer than 2006,... , too bad for the rest.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Forget it - You will never rebut the presumption of accuracy of a speed camera.
Pay the fine and go get on with your life.

Forget what Tim W posted,
Your best bet is to go to court and ask for section 10 if you have a good driving record, you most properly can get section 10.
Good luck.