SA Speeding Fines and Traffic Law - Zero Tolerance of Speeding?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nicole Brock

17 September 2015
I had heard that as of Monday the 14th September 2015, this week, SA police will now take a zero tolerance of speeding. Is this true? Will there be no more warnings for speeding fines? Up until now 5 kms over the limit seems to be ignored. Between 116 km/h and 120 km/h in 110 km/h zones, a formal warning is given but with no fine.

Do we now have zero tolerance on speeding under Traffic Law?

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Nicole,

I am not too familiar with SA traffic laws as I'm from Victoria. However, this page may help: My Licence - Road Rules - Offences and Penalties - South Australian Government. In Victoria, there is a 5 km/h leeway. However, there is generally no warning between 5-10 km/h above the actual speed limit. You will get fined if you drive above 5 km/h higher than the speed limit.

This article should assist your enquiry: Fines and Penalties in South Australia - Blogs - LawAnswers.com.au

The responsible thing to recommend you is to just drive at or below the speed limit. Technically, if you drive above the speed limit, even if it is within 5 km/h above, you are in breach of the speed regulations. As such, you are liable for a fine or penalty. It's just that in practice, police may understand and choose not to fine you (and let you off with a warning). However, this is within the police's own discretion. Legally speaking, you are breaking the traffic regulations no matter by how little you speed.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hi Tracey,

I believe Vic police lowered the tolerances a couple of years ago - now 3 kmh :(

Ridiculous revenue raising IMHO.