- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

SA Speeding Fines and Traffic Law - Zero Tolerance of Speeding?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by Nicole Brock, 17 September 2015.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. Nicole Brock

Nicole Brock Member

17 September 2015
    I had heard that as of Monday the 14th September 2015, this week, SA police will now take a zero tolerance of speeding. Is this true? Will there be no more warnings for speeding fines? Up until now 5 kms over the limit seems to be ignored. Between 116 km/h and 120 km/h in 110 km/h zones, a formal warning is given but with no fine.

Do we now have zero tolerance on speeding under Traffic Law?
  2. Tracy B

Tracy B Well-Known Member

24 December 2014

I am not too familiar with SA traffic laws as I'm from Victoria. However, this page may help: My Licence - Road Rules - Offences and Penalties - South Australian Government. In Victoria, there is a 5 km/h leeway. However, there is generally no warning between 5-10 km/h above the actual speed limit. You will get fined if you drive above 5 km/h higher than the speed limit.

This article should assist your enquiry: Fines and Penalties in South Australia - Blogs -

The responsible thing to recommend you is to just drive at or below the speed limit. Technically, if you drive above the speed limit, even if it is within 5 km/h above, you are in breach of the speed regulations. As such, you are liable for a fine or penalty. It's just that in practice, police may understand and choose not to fine you (and let you off with a warning). However, this is within the police's own discretion. Legally speaking, you are breaking the traffic regulations no matter by how little you speed.
  3. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

27 May 2014

I believe Vic police lowered the tolerances a couple of years ago - now 3 kmh :(

Ridiculous revenue raising IMHO.