Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Son Wants to Live with Me - What are His Rights?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by shona, 9 July 2015.

  1. shona

    shona Active Member

    8 July 2015
    Likes Received:
    My son is 13 and was 50/50 with father and myself (custody of children). My son wanted to come live with me and has for a few months and is now 13 years old.

    What are my son’s rights under family law in relation to living with one parent of his choice?
  2. AllForHer

    AllForHer Well-Known Member

    23 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    There are no specific rights that apply to this circumstance, but if the court were to deliberate on this matter, it may give significant weight to the child's opinion about who he wishes to live with.

    It would be best to organise a family dispute resolution conference to discuss this with the father before taking action. Taking action without efforts to reach agreement with the other parent tends to go sour fairly quickly and the court frowns upon it, but Relationships Australia offer child-inclusive conferences so that the child's views can be heard and considered by both parties in discussing current arrangements.

    Hope this helps.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Share This Page