NSW Sold Faulty Car by Private Seller - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
14 October 2016
I recently bought a car from a private seller in Sydney. The car was registered only one month before I bought it, which reassured me that the car was in good condition.

Prior to purchasing the car, I asked the seller if it had ever been in any kind of accident, to which he replied no (I have this is writing). One week after purchasing the car, it broke down. The mechanic then found that the car had been in a very serious accident, which required almost all the motor parts to be replaced (with second hand parts).

The mechanic won't even allow the car back on the road until he has done the repairs. The mechanic who gave the seller the initial pink slip should not have dreamed the car roadworthy as it is not. I now have repair costs of almost $2000 and would like to know what my options are, considering the seller lied about the state of the car?

Thank you.

deborah crowe

13 October 2016
Hi Tashiyta,

Not that I can help you. I am similar circumstances we bought a car from a private seller in Sydney a fortnight ago. We had it checked and it was fine. However no one had picked up that the automatic transmission was going as the car when warm is fine only when it is cold there are issues.

We tried calling him from the second day we purchased it and still tried. We used another mobile number which he had answered and is denying that there was previous issues. We paid $3k for it The cost to get it repaired is $4k. So we are in similar circumstances.

If anyone can assist us both would be appreciated.

Thank you

Steph e

24 October 2016
Hi there,

This too has happened to me. We bought a car through a private sale on Friday and there are already issues. The previous owner said that there were no issues however when we asked about a warning light that's display - she says that she knew about it and she just resets the car.

After speaking to Ford they will need the car to come in and be hooked up to a computer to then identify the issue. We have her over text message saying that she knew about it - even though she failed to mention it when buying or in the advertisement.

What can we do?

Thanks