Bought Faulty Car from Private Seller - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Frank Reyes

20 August 2020
On Saturday 08-01-2020 I bought an automatic ford fiesta 2010 car at $ 5,500 AUD in Liverpool NSW, Australia, I bought it after I drove it for more than 30 min and I liked it, also the car was in perfect aesthetic condition, also in the publication of market facebook and in the inspection of the car, the seller explained that the car was in perfect mechanical condition. The following Monday I made the registration at the NSW service office. The first week with the car, I started to hear an unusual sound, but because I was very busy with my work, I could only have it checked by a mechanic 10 days after the day I bought the car.
The mechanic told me that the car had a serious problem with the gearbox and recommended that I take it to the Ford workshop. I had to pay $ 220 for this check and service.
Today, August 20, I took the car to the Ford workshop and after a day of revision the result is that the transmission clutch is damaged and that the repair costs $ 4,300 and I had to pay $ 170 for this revision.

When I called the seller, he only told me that the car was fine and that I should not take the car to any mechanic since they are scammers, then he hung up the call and has not answered me again.
I would like to know if I have any way to sue the seller and not lose my money, I would also like to know how much the process would change with a lawyer and how long it would take to resolve this problem.

Atticus

6 February 2019
On Saturday 08-01-2020 I bought an automatic ford fiesta 2010 car at $ 5,500 AUD in Liverpool NSW, Australia
Not if it was a private sale ...... possibly still not if it was a dealer either becuase a clutch is one of those items (like brake pads) that would likely not be covered under warranty