NSW How to Get Car Deposit Back from Private Seller?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Petko Petkov

14 June 2016
Hi,

I have been sold a faulty vehicle from a private seller. He claimed the car is roadworthy. At the time, I believed, so I bought it. Then I went to the mechanic to get my pink slip and ended up with a bill of $10,000 AUD. So I decided to scrap the vehicle and lose $7,000 AUD (which is what I had spend so far).

What can I do under Australian Consumer Law? Can you help me to get my $7,000 AUD back from the seller?

Cheers,

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi Petko,

Australian Consumer law does not apply to transactions through private sellers. However, you can rely on the principles of contract law to sue him for a remedy in the small claims court. In particular, you could claim that he made false or misleading representations about the nature of the vehicle you were purchasing and therefore you are entitled to claim compensation for your loss.

Since it appears you have already sold the car for scrap and have made up some of your loss, you would only be able to claim what you are out of pocket, not the full purchase price.