NSW Snapchat Hacking Website (SnapHackz) - Is it legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

James Rocko

11 January 2015
Okay so this Snaphackz website tells you that it can hack Snapchat accounts, you enter the account you want it always comes up with 32 snaps (maybe 33), after that it will tell you to enter your username and password in (doesn't matter if it's right or wrong). You will then be redirected to a page where you must download an app to continue. After the download you are redirected to local host.

If you enter your password and username correctly a message is sent to all your contacts telling them their account has.
Okay so I'm 99% sure this is illegal, however I have 2 questions:
  1. What are the consequences?
  2. How could this scheme become legal?
I must say I really admire the idea behind this, and can't help think of ways that this could be legal. For say they had terms and conditions you needed to accept before continuing saying this is a test to see how likely you are to be hacked, if you put your correct details in there a message will be sent to all your contacts. And change the website from seeing if your account has been hacked to the probably of your account being hacked ... Giving a result based on how long you took did you read terms and conditions did you put your correct details in etc.

Thanks guys :)

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @James Rocko
What is the URL (or can you better describe the "hacking" process and the website's terms and conditions)?

James Rocko

11 January 2015
Hi @James Rocko
What is the URL (or can you better describe the "hacking" process and the website's terms and conditions)?
Hi, Thank you for the reply.
In this sense it is a phishing website where the tell the user that there account has been hacked (private photos uploaded) then get them to enter their account details so they can send a message to all their contacts.