NSW Small Claims Court for Freelancer Working Overseas?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

BenBean

9 June 2019
Hi, I apologise if this is in the wrong section.

A few months back, I was working from home as a contractor doing some IT work for a company in the UK. Both parties signed an employment contract, which I have a copy of, and I was to be paid monthly, based on an hourly wage. We used a website called Clockify to track time.

I've sent 3 invoices in total, and only the first one has been paid (back in February). Since April 1st I've ceased work, and the last I've heard from them was May 3rd. The outstanding amount is £4,272. I've heard about small claims court but I'm unsure how to proceed as they are not based in Australia.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Better off using a UK lawyer to chase your debt, else you are using an Aussie lawyer to get the judgment here, then a UK lawyer to have it enforced in the UK.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
It's also worth pointing out that contracts that operate across borders often stipulate a governing jurisdiction for the purpose of any legal matters arising out the contract. If that's the case, then you may need to file in that jurisdiction.

Last edited: