QLD Siblings in Foster Care - What to do over Christmas?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kierra

17 December 2014
Hello, I have 3 little siblings who are in foster care. They have been in foster care for roughly four months now, and during this time I have been given one weekly visit that goes for one hour.

Over the Christmas period they are cutting our visits off for 2 weeks as the kids are going on a holiday with their foster family. I am 18 years old and have taken care of the kids on my own before so I am more than capable, and I haven't done anything wrong for the child safety officers to not trust me with the kids.

I was wondering where I stand with this under family law? I would like to have the kids over this 2 week period so they can stay with me and their family but child safety will not allow this. Is there anything I can do?

CathL

19 April 2014
Australia
Hi Kierra,
Did you make any progress with the child safety officers?
Have a read through the QLD Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services “Rights and responsibilities” page and the “Providing foster and kinship care: Maintaining family contact" Fact Sheet that have some helpful information. For example, the department has a responsibility to provide the opportunity for contact between a child or young person and members of their family, as often as appropriate.

The “Do you have a complaint about the Department of Child Safety?” Fact Sheet sets out how you can try to resolve issues and make a complaint.

Hope that helps.