NSW Shoplifting/Possession of suspected stolen goods

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

gadam

16 July 2019
Hi,
I have a question:
I was caught shoplifting in the shopping mall. I had sunglasses. They asked me to go to the back room, I cooperated, offered to pay, apologize, etc. After a couple of hours, the police came, I went with them. They kept me for 12h, I went through all the procedures of prints, interview, etc. When I was about to leave they asked me how I came to the mall and I said by car. They went somewhere and came back with the package with gifts that I was about to ship to my family overseas for Christmas. They brought the goods were stolen even though I denied it since I had gifts for the whole family that I actually bought.

So a few weeks later, I went to the court, and I was convicted and directed to enter into a Community Correction for 12 months with ACT 1999 for shoplifting under 2000$ and possession of suspected stolen goods.

My question: if I do not commit any crimes during these 12 months, does my criminal record clears up or it will always stay there?

Thank you very much in advance for your response!

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,
I have a question:
I was caught shoplifting in the shopping mall. I had sunglasses. They asked me to go to the back room, I cooperated, offered to pay, apologize, etc. After a couple of hours, the police came, I went with them. They kept me for 12h, I went through all the procedures of prints, interview, etc. When I was about to leave they asked me how I came to the mall and I said by car. They went somewhere and came back with the package with gifts that I was about to ship to my family overseas for Christmas. They brought the goods were stolen even though I denied it since I had gifts for the whole family that I actually bought.

So a few weeks later, I went to the court, and I was convicted and directed to enter into a Community Correction for 12 months with ACT 1999 for shoplifting under 2000$ and possession of suspected stolen goods.

My question: if I do not commit any crimes during these 12 months, does my criminal record clears up or it will always stay there?

Thank you very much in advance for your response!

You were convicted, right? so it will stay on your record for certain number of years, (I am not sure but more than 10 years I think, I am not a lawyer and my info is from the web), the other thing that the record will not show is section 10, if you had section 10, then you will not have the record show and if you breach the good behavior bond during the specified time, you will be charged.

Not worth the shoplifting, right?