NSW Police Raid for Possession of Stolen Goods - What Now?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

rikki stranlund

8 January 2015
Today my house was raided by police who had a search warrant, They were searching for fire arms and ammunition and stolen watches. There search was unsuccessful. Although they did seize items such as 3 mobile phones, my daughter's laptop, tablets with no prescription, detonators and a toilet suite. I'm concerned about what the charges will be for the detonators. I honestly do not know where or how the detonators became in my possession. I'm being charged for stolen goods in custody. Please help me

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
"Goods in Custody" is a charge that arises
when you have things in your possession
and you cannot explain where they came from
and how you came to have them.

In other words - you can face this charge if
you cannot satisfy the police the goods are "yours",
and that you obtained them lawfully
(such as by buying them, or receiving them as a gift).

In order to successfully defend the charge,
you will need to show the court where you got the goods from,
and how you came to have them lawfully.

Reactions: John R

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi rikki,
I agree with @Tim W's comments - Why are you unclear about how you came into possession of the detonators?
Have you engaged a lawyer or contacted Legal Aid NSW for further assistance?

rikki stranlund

8 January 2015
Happreciateki,
I agree with @Tim W's comments - Why are you unclear about how you came into possession of the detonators?
Have you engaged a lawyer or contacted Legal Aid NSW for further assistance?
Hi guys firstly thanku for ur answers. I value u takin the time to do so. To answer ur question on how the detonators came into my possession- I have just come out of a 6 year relationship with my ex partner. To my knowledge they were his property . I honestly didnt know that they were still in my residence ... I didnt even know wat they were.. although we have parted I was to believe regardless who owned them , as they were in my house obviously they r my responsibility as they were in my house . I dont have any criminal history or record for that matter..

rikki stranlund

8 January 2015
Hi guys firstly thanku for ur answers. I value u takin the time to do so. To answer ur question on how the detonators came into my possession- I have just come out of a 6 year relationship with my ex partner. To my knowledge they were his property . I honestly didnt know that they were still in my residence ... I didnt even know wat they were.. although we have parted I was to believe regardless who owned them , as they were in my house obviously they r my responsibility as they were in my house . I dont have any criminal history or record for that matter..
No I have not contacted legal aid or a lawyer .

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney