NSW Seperating but don't want to sell the house

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SapphireRose

26 February 2024
I have been separated from my ex since late October but we still share the house that we have lived in for 7 years. I moved out for a week on boxing day but had to move back for financial reasons. We are in separate rooms. I work and study, he doesn't. I pay all the bills, he maintains the house, yard and looks after my 2 dogs. Our children have grown and left home. We have been married 36 years. He has been controlling, manipulative, aggressive and violent, sometimes physical. The stress and anxiety that he causes me has me only coming home late at night and leaving early to avoid him. He has no respect of boundaries and is crying and telling me how much he loves me all the time, trying to get me to go back to him. He would constantly call me to find out where I am but has recently stopped doing this after I blocked his number after I leave work. He has followed me to our neighbour's house and to work. He goes through my room when I'm not home. I recently applied for a passport so I can travel. It was meant to be delivered today but I wasn't home so it was taken back to the post office and a card was left. He took the card to the post office where they gave him, without ID, my registered mail and also told him what it was. He didn't open it and gave it to me when I got home. I want to run away but don't want to leave the house either. He has stated that he will walk away if I give him $250000. I don't want to get an AVO as it will just ruin his life. I've just had enough and don't know what to do.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Get the AVO. He needs to not live there any more.

Also, the bit about "ruin his life" - no.
He might do that to himself - but only if he breaches the order.
Will you accept from me that
almost everything that he will say to you
about an AVO, about getting one, and about the effect it will have on his life,
will be a lie?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Have you tried mediation or counselling yet?

lostinspace

25 November 2023
AVOs do nothing but cause both parties to deal with the police and legal system. I mean a real fruit cake is more likely to go ape taking this path, the cops will not be removing him as it seems everyone makes these claims, if they are true you would leave is my guess. You seem to have the power and resources to act.

Frankly, pay him if it is fair, or, leave. People cannot have the cake and eat it too, you are also creating this environment. A house is just that, a house, living like this will just make you both more miserable.

Cheers and all the best.