QLD Separation - Timeframe to Find Work?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

King Neptune

9 January 2017
My ex and I returned to Australia 6 months ago from the UK due to immigration 'complications' arising as a result of our separation. Aussie citizens, eight-year marriage, 3 children in primary school. Children spend 50:50 time with each parent. In the UK, we were both employed full time as professionals, and both have the same Aussie education and experience.

I was able to find work immediately upon returning to Australia, however, she is still looking. Obviously this has some financial implications for me with child support...

Does the Agency have any sort of guidelines to measure what constitutes a reasonable timeframe/effort looking for work? She has a solid backlog of cash in the bank post-separation so she isn't desperate to work (so to speak), and wouldn't be eligible for Centrelink etc.

sammy01

27 September 2015
You could lodge a dispute. You would have to establish that she can work but is choosing not to.

King Neptune

9 January 2017
Thanks both. CSA isn't aware of the cash situation but my understanding is it would not factor in significantly given their formulaic approach for making a determination. I am considering lodging a dispute, however, am curious about how they would evaluate.

Centrelink has guidelines regarding efforts looking for work (to receive unemployment benefits), but I'd hazard a guess that the CSA's expectations are less onerous and any method they'd use to assess would be more opaque (because unlike Centrelink it's not the general taxpayers money they're needing to account for...)