QLD Sell Father's House under Power of Attorney?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kazza

14 March 2015
My Dad is living in a Nursing Home. (Mum has passed away.) We (5 siblings) are discussing selling his house with all profit going to Dad's bank account.

Will Dad need to declare his income from the bank interest he will earn? (ie will be need to put in a tax return?)

Can all dealings with real estate be done legally by his Power of Attorney or will Dad need to sign paperwork?

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
My Dad is living in a Nursing Home. (Mum has passed away.) We (5 siblings) are discussing selling his house with all profit going to Dad's bank account.

Will Dad need to declare his income from the bank interest he will earn? (ie will be need to put in a tax return?)

Can all dealings with real estate be done legally by his Power of Attorney or will Dad need to sign paperwork?

Kazza,

He will probably earn below the threshold required to submit a return. I would call the ATO to confirm.

If there is a financial POA that should be sufficient to allow the real estate dealing.