NSW Self-representation in NSW Supreme Court

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Edgeman

18 May 2017
Hi Everyone,

I'm after some guidance, and apologise in advance if this is not the correct forum to do that. In a nutshell my company used to contract to another company, we terminated the agreement after they failed to pay invoices on time repeatedly over a long period (months), and then put in a NSW Local Court (general division) claim to get the unpaid invoices paid. The other party has then hacked into my personal email, saw that I had a personal relationship with one of their customers, and has filed a statement of claim in the NSW Supreme Court for relief, loss of revenue from that customer (who has since left the other party as a customer through their own volition) and an injunction to stop my company, and me personally from "chasing" their other customers. Never mind the fact that my company now has no revenue and that I have decided to become an employee in a completely different market.

As part of the statement of claim they have lodged a motion to transfer the local court case over to the supreme court. I am opposing this, however at the call-over yesterday the Justice mentioned that companies are not allowed to be self-represented, and I would need a solicitor or "permission" (wrong legal term, I know) to self-represent. The problem is that my company has very, very limited funds and is simply waiting on the unpaid invoices before I wrap up the company.

So wanted to see if anyone can provide pointers / guidance / their own experience on how to argue self-representation in front of a supreme court justice, or even what the procedure is to have such an argument heard, could this be done at the hearing itself? Beforehand? Are there any forms to fill in?

Or... failing that I would be looking at a low cost option to just have a solicitor argue my points at the transfer motion hearing, I think that would be the cheapest but I'm not sure if any solicitor would be interested in such a small job. I say that because directly after the hearing mediation is planned and I hope to resolve the matter then, and if so there won't be a need for further legal help.

Thanks in advance!