VIC Rumours Spread by Ex-Wife - Is This Defamation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

B-57

25 December 2015
After I separated from my ex-wife, I transferred half of the house (the house was on my name) in my daughter's name. My ex-wife left and my daughter was living with me. I did it because (my ex-wife comes from a family with criminal history and told me that she was sorry, that she did not let them put a contract on me before) if something happened to me, my daughter will have a place to live.

When my ex-wife heard about it, emailed a friend, an employee of West Wimmera Shire Council and told that the house is hers from her father and that I'm a parasite who lived on her back and never worked, (that is not the truth) and many more.

They manage to change the council records when I got the rates bill from the West Wimmera Shire Council. My ex-wife's name was on it. I went to the front office and show the paper, her friend was working behind the counter. I said that it was supposed to be in my daughter's name on it, not my ex-wife's. She looked at me, smiled and ask, "how did you do that?"

I told that I paid a lawyer to do it, she took the paper and made a phone call. In her conversation on the phone, she told the person she was talking to, that I used a lawyer and ask what to do. She came back and told me to go home and that she will fix it. I took it to the CEO and he told me that will investigate it. Since then, there are many rumours about me. I cannot go in town (small town, everyone knows me) without getting looks, that I did something wrong.

Do I have a case of defamation or I take it on the chin and move on?