QLD Roof Setback Too Close to Boundary - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

RobD

1 January 2018
I have a property in a Brisbane suburb and my neighbour has built a new house next door - a "complying development" which did not require a DA.

My neighbour has built his house and done the setback to the wall of the house and not the roofline. This is causing overshadowing on my property. It looks like the roof line almost touches the boundary if a line was drawn vertically. To my knowledge, there are no "relaxations" that have been approved by council.

What can I or the council do?

My plan is to get a surveyor or a certifier to assist me. Any other approaches or help welcomed.

The neighbour is evasive and has also altered the fence without permission in pursuit of his McMansion. Basically he is steam rolling through and has upset his other neighbours already. Seems like it is my turn.

I want to be thorough before doing anything legal.

Some of my legal research:

It is a small lot (less than 405m) and subject to Brisbane council rules:
Rules for boundary setback | Brisbane City Council

The notable part being:

Document: "MP 1.1 - Design and siting standard for single detached housing on lots under 450m", p5
Side and rear boundary clearance means:
a) for a building or structure other than a swimming pool, the shortest distance measured horizontally from the outermost projection of the building or structure to the vertical projection of the boundary of the lot.

Question: Roof appears to be too close to the boundary

Definition, p4

Part of a building or structure including, in the case of a roof, the outside face of the fascia, or the roof structure where there is no fascia, or attached sunhoods or the like, but does not include retractable blinds, fixed screens, rainwater fittings, or ornamental attachments.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Maybe suggest he should pay the cost of your selling and purchasing elsewhere, say $50K.

Alternative is to exercise your rights and report the issue to the council.

Tripe

22 May 2017
1 find out what the side setbacks are in your area,

2 if he breached them, then the project needs to stop, and then council should force the neighbour to public advertise the planned building application which breaches minimum side setbacks provisions.

You will then get 14 days to object to the building application.

You can't build a building that breaches local planning parameters.