WA Boundary retaining wall needed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

bricyn

31 March 2021
Could anyone help with this?
Our blocks slope from front to rear i.e. they are higher at the front.
My neighbour levelled his block up to the front boundary where he build a 700mm limestone block wall running across the block terminating at my boundary.
This issue is that the soil level on his side of the boundary gets progressively lower in relation to my ground over a distance of roughly 6.0M up to a depth of about 600mm.
The effect of this cut is that the fence has begun to collapse simply because there is no soil on the neighbour's side to support it.
I have contacted the Council and the response from them was, well unbelievable this is the response in full:

· There is no record or evidence of original level of land between the 2 properties prior to the construction of planter boxes in 2015

· No building permit is/was required for retaining walls during 2019 within the front setback.

· The plants on Brian’s property along the boundary fence may have contributed to the damages to dividing fence.

· A level difference of +-200mm does not require retaining and especially with these old properties, sand move and level of land changes over time.

· Photos taken during 2018 shows that there is already a difference in levels between the 2 properties.

I have absolutely no idea what that is all about.

No idea about planter boxes.
Thought a building permit was /is required for a retaining wall over 500mm.
So my plants are the problem, not the mass of soil that has been removed.
I thought that any land level alteration at the boundary must be retained and is the responsibility of the land owner making that alteration.
never seen any photos of these land level differences.

B2588F0A-770A-4F1E-A667-073D2A0827CF_1_105_c.jpeg If someone could offer some advice I would be grateful.

Take care all.