NSW Removing Name on Bills but Not on Land Title?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

RachelT

15 September 2015
I have a property under dispute which is in 2 names. I have consent orders that require the other person to pay the utility, council, etc. bills on the property, which they are not, therefore ruining my credit rating. Some of the bills are based on the Land Titles Office which means they have both names as their billing is based on land title.

Any ideas as to how to get a name removed just in relation to the bills and not the title? I have called them all and they say they cannot do anything?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Put your cancellation/removal of name in writing to each utility and say you no longer accept any more charges as of a certain date (eg 7 days time). Explain that they will be liable for any subsequent costs associated with clearing your credit rating if they fail to remove you name from the account.

Follow up after a few days to see if they have your letter. If they have your letter, record the date, time and person's name that you spoke to.

Keep a copy of all correspondence somewhere safe.

And do not pay any bills for services provided after your cancellation date.