QLD If I don't utilise a +5yr option on a land lease do I have to pay a title change with DNRME?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Victori88

24 November 2020
Queensland
Hi,
I leased some land from my local council, it was a 5yr (+ an option of 5 yrs) lease. I was sent the new lease paperwork when the first 5 years were up 30th May 2020. The staff member advised that I would have to pay $190 to re-register the title. Due to the financial downturn, we decided not to re-sign the lease. Shortly afterward we received a bill for $190 with the description of lease title surrender.

In the DNRME Amendment Regulation (2019), it states that there is a nil fee for an expired lease (s13.36.2 (j & k) - please excuse my incorrect referencing). Wasn't the initial lease expired?

I'm honestly confused at why my local council want to charge me this fee regardless of whether I sign a new lease or not.

Thanks,
C.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Check what you agreed to in writing with them. The $190 fee will be the Titles Office lodgement fee only - not a Council charge.

In a lot of cases surrenders aren’t completely necessary, and shouldn’t need to be your concern - unless you specifically agreed to it in contract.