Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Raising Sister's Baby - Claim Paid Parental Leave from Centrelink?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Britnne, 7 April 2016.

1. Britnne

Britnne Active Member

I will be raising my sister's newborn baby as my own. Consent orders will be made once the baby is born and submitted to family law court in Brisbane.

I work for Education QLD. They are offering me 14 weeks "special leave", not paid maternity leave as I don't fit in the "birth parent, adoption or surrogacy" category. Can I claim the 18 weeks paid parental leave?

I have contacted Centrelink on three different occasions and have received three different answers. I have been advised that only if my sister is entitled to this leave in the first place. She then rejects this, so this will come to me and I will have to claim through Centrelink as a "transfer" from the biological parent.

Will the reason why I am raising my sister's daughter determine the decision?

I hope this makes sense

2. Clancy

Clancy Well-Known Member

It's not clear why you would not fit the adoption category?