SA Query on Division of School Holidays?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Adam-ant

16 September 2016
Just a query about the long school holidays.

We are to do 'week about' instead of our usual system of 2/2/3....

So Friday to Friday for six weeks

That leaves the last weekend - who has that? Does it still go week about until school returns on the Monday? Or do the kids stay with whoever they are with on that Friday as there is then 'no week about' and normal routine must return?

Thanks

AllForHer

23 July 2014
If there's no orders actually stating how this is to work, you're really better off seeking an answer or otherwise agreement from the other parent.

For my household, we continue the week-about arrangements until the day the child returns to school, then whoever the child is is meant to be with as part of the regular schedule (the 2/2/3 schedule in your case) collects the child from school and the regular schedule recommences from then.

For a 2/2/3 regular schedule, I'd probably make the argument that the last weekend should be spent with whoever has the child on the first day of school so the child has a couple of days to get back into routine and prepare for the return to school after the long break.

But in the same token, if the other parent is opposed to that and wants the week-about to continue up until the first day of school (usually because it benefits them), then it's probably not worth having an argument over. The number of days difference is fairly trivial in the greater scheme of things, really.

sammy01

27 September 2015
You wanna read this thread:
VIC - What Do Family Court Orders Mean Regarding School Holidays? | LawAnswers.com.au

You wanna look at the relevant school department website because the holidays are rarely 6 weeks. In NSW, the holidays start on the Monday after school breaks up - have a look...
School Calendar

Look if you're the primary carer, I'd suggest giving a little. Just to be nice.

If you're not and the ex is trying to screw you over for what ever times she can. Learn to smile and nod. It ain't worth court and I've learnt the hard way how much stress it can cause. The stress is caused by the unfairness and the BS not because you're missing a few nights here or there. In the grand scheme of things better to let it go.... Why? Well, in my case, the ex knew how much it pissed me off. That made it all the more fun for her...

If, however, you're just asking - for clarification. Unless the orders specify details then it is up for you and the ex to come to an agreement. Hopefully, that is easy to achieve. If not, then read the info above again and again. Trust me, mate. I know, I know.

My ex would contradict herself this way and that and none of it mattered, what mattered to her is that she had the kids so she made the decision and if it made me upset then that was a bonus point to her... Try to avoid that.