Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hesstan

26 October 2023
Dear members of the Forum,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Ludek, and I recently moved to Australia from the Czech Republic with my family. We are currently residing near Brisbane and consist of three members: myself, studying commercial cookery, my wife, and our three-year-old daughter. Our daughter, who was born in Spain, now attends kindergarten for two days a week. This allows her to socialize with other children and learn English, while also providing some assistance for us as we are unable to personally look after her while we are working.

I have a question regarding my current student visa (Subclass 500). As you may know, this visa restricts me to working a maximum of 24 hours per week. However, with the expenses we face, including rent, full kindergarten fees ($150 per day), food, and other necessary costs for our family of three, covering all these expenses has proven to be quite challenging. I am seeking advice regarding any potential benefits, exceptions, or alternative options that may be available to us. Specifically, I am wondering if there is a possibility for my wife to be granted permission to work full-time or if there are any other benefits that could aid us in our current situation. Additionally, I should note that my mother is already a resident of Australia for a couple of years, but unfortunately, her residency status has not provided any assistance in our specific circumstances.

I would like to express my gratitude in advance for any guidance, advice, or tips that the esteemed members of this forum can provide. Your insights will be highly valued and greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,
Ludek