QLD Qld dash cam footage legalities

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LizW

16 March 2018
Are the qld police able to charge a driver for an offence using submitted dash cam footage from a member of the public? As the registered owner of a vehicle which is currently being used by someone else as I am living in another state the qld police have spoken to tenants at my qld address and also to my partner (who has no name on the paperwork as to having any ownership)here with me interstate and to the person who is in charge of the vehicle whilst I am away. They have dash cam footage showing the vehicle going through a red light and have shown this to the person in charge of the vehicle and are saying they have to either accept the charge of running a red light or they will charge him with driving without due care and attention which carries a criminal charge and they will then have a permanent criminal record. The dash cam footage was shown to him, it has daylight saving time (1 hour) later time stamped on the footage and he was not allowed to make a copy this footage after being asked to come in to the local station for a chat, then pressured to accept the charge of running a red light or accept the driving without due care and attention charge. He is not visible in the footage and only the registration number is clearly visible as it was raining heavily on the day in question.
The 2 main questions I have would be if they are going to issue a ticket why as the registered owner of the vehicle have I not been sent any notification and why are they applying so much pressure for him to accept the running the red light charge are they trying to force his hand by scaring him with the other charge.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Are the qld police able to charge a driver for an offence using submitted dash cam footage from a member of the public?
Sure. Although it's more likely to be an infringement than a charge.
The 2 main questions I have would be if they are going to issue a ticket why as the registered owner of the vehicle have I not been sent any notification
For one thing, it might be that they have not issued it yet.
Because the offence was committed by the driver, and they may already know
that the registered owner was not the driver at the time.
So they might be trying to work out exactly who to infringe.
...and why are they applying so much pressure for him to accept the running the red light charge are they trying to force his hand by scaring him with the other charge.
Probably because he's a dill who is arguing with the police.
Your advice to him should be along the lines of
"You did it. Either cop it sweet, pay the fine and move on, or court-elect it and see how you go".

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
I've argued with the police over tickets on several occasions because I knew I was in the right. The tickets were eventually withdrawn because I wouldn't play their game.
I don't understand why they are pressuring him. he either gets a ticket or not.