NSW False Plate at Car Accident - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Msabrina

1 August 2017
Hi,

This morning when I stopped in front of the traffic lights, a truck hit my car at the back. The driver came and opened my door and after the lights turned to green he asked me why I have stopped while the lights were green.

I said it was red a few seconds ago, then he asked me to drive to the left side on a quiet street. I drove the car, he followed me and then he turned back to the road and went away. I got the plate number and noted it down. When I went to the police station, they checked and told me that there wasn't such a vehicle registered in any of the states. I am quite sure about the plate number and I asked the police officer if it may be fake or not and he said me that it can be.

Although it was a pedestrian crossing area the police officer told me that there were no cameras recording around that place. I will make a claim but everyone says that the car insurance will only pay for excess parts. Would you have any opinions about this?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Did the police record your complaint? If so, they should have given you a receipt number (not sure exactly what they call it in NSW). If not, go back and make a formal complaint. You'll need it for insurance.

Your coverage will depend on the type of insurance you have and your policy. Don't listen to other people. If the claim is worth making (considering your excess, and what it may do to your premiums), refer it to your insurer. Tell them you made the police complaint and give them the reference. It's then in their hands.