TAS Property Settlement - What Happens if Ex Doesn't Declare Assets Overseas?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

WHMurphy

7 September 2016
Hi everyone,

I've just started filling out the form for a court order for financial settlement. My ex has property interests in New Zealand and also superannuation. What happens if she does not declare one or both of these in her financial statement for property settlement?

Lance

31 October 2015
Each party in family law proceedings has a duty of disclosure, therefore they must provide full and frank disclosure. If you feel the other party are not being full and frank in their disclosure it might be best to contact a family lawyer to discuss the way forward. The following link can be used to find and book with a lawyer in your local area: https://lawtap.com/au/

S

Sophea

I agree. Lawyers know how to investigate assets and obtain evidence of their ownership etc to bring to the court's attention. If you know about the assets yourself you can bring them to the attention of the court which may get her to fess up about them but you still won't have evidence of them unless you do the investigative leg work and issue some subpoenas etc.​