LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

TAS Property Settlement - What Happens if Ex Doesn't Declare Assets Overseas?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by WHMurphy, 23 September 2016.

1. WHMurphy

WHMurphy Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I've just started filling out the form for a court order for financial settlement. My ex has property interests in New Zealand and also superannuation. What happens if she does not declare one or both of these in her financial statement for property settlement?

2. Lance

Lance Well-Known Member

Each party in family law proceedings has a duty of disclosure, therefore they must provide full and frank disclosure. If you feel the other party are not being full and frank in their disclosure it might be best to contact a family lawyer to discuss the way forward. The following link can be used to find and book with a lawyer in your local area: https://lawtap.com/au/

3. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

I agree. Lawyers know how to investigate assets and obtain evidence of their ownership etc to bring to the court's attention. If you know about the assets yourself you can bring them to the attention of the court which may get her to fess up about them but you still won't have evidence of them unless you do the investigative leg work and issue some subpoenas etc. ​