VIC Property Settlement Questions for Short De Facto Relationship

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You may well feel aggrieved and based on your latest post you probably have reason to be. You picked her, now you have a mess to sort out. A court will look at the various factors and decide how to make a split. Stop corresponding and let her commence court action. In the mean time start preparing your affidavit and keep adding to it as more and more events come to mind.

Wait, but be prepared.

SJM1986

16 May 2017
Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Does anyone know whether direct financial contributions are assessed as gross or net pay? Being the higher income earner, I am hoping it is gross as this is more favourable to me as I pay a higher tax rate.

Kiwigirl

29 June 2017
Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Does anyone know whether direct financial contributions are assessed as gross or net pay? Being the higher income earner, I am hoping it is gross as this is more favourable to me as I pay a higher tax rate.

Hi SJM,

I noticed your post which is similar to my situation - being a short relationship of 5 years de facto and no kids.

The OP asked for 50%, we've offered 15%. However on Calculating the Property Pool, the house I've owned for 15 years was not calculated on the Increase over the time he moved in to current... instead it was an overall increase during the whole period I've owned it.

I made all the mortgage and bill payments. I don't think this is a fair way to measure the pool, especially also he didn't provide and still won't provide Full Disclosure and is hiding a Trust and bank accounts so the whole property pool consists of only my assets.

Court is next August. Wondering how your case ended up? Maybe give me an indication on how to prepare for a worse case scenario!

SJM1986

16 May 2017
Hi SJM I noticed your post which is similar to my situation being a short relationship of 5 years defacto and no kids.
The OP asked for 50% we've offered 15%
However on Calculating the Property Pool, the house I've owned for 15 years was not calculated on the Increase over the time he moved in to current... instead it was an overall increase during the whole period I've owned it.
I made all the mortgage and bill payments
I don't think this is a fair way to measure the pool especially also he didn't provide and still won't provide Full Disclosure and is hiding a Trust and bank accounts so the whole property pool consists of only my assets.
Court is next August
Wondering how your case ended up? Maybe give me an indication on how to prepare for a worse case scenario!

Hi,

I don't really have anything further to add at the moment. They're still compiling financial disclosure. Hopefully I'll know more by the end of this week and will let you know.

It sounds like you're a lot further ahead than me, we haven't even reached he stage of making offers yet.

Kiwigirl

29 June 2017
Hi,

I don't really have anything further to add at the moment. They're still compiling financial disclosure. Hopefully I'll know more by the end of this week and will let you know.

It sounds like you're a lot further ahead than me, we haven't even reached he stage of making offers yet.

Yes mine's been over a year and by court date, it would have been just over two years.

It's not really fair as the other side have the upper hand and nothing really to lose as they're playing with our money. Our deadline on our offer was last Friday week with no response. So I'm guessing that means it's rejected or it's a Mexican stand off. Very frustrating