NSW Property Settlement - Being Denied Access to Vehicle?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
19 September 2016
My ex husband and I own a motor vehicle jointly, which is part of an unsettled property pool. The vehicle was registered in my name in NSW. The motor vehicle has not been registered since Apr 2016 and I believe my ex can just sell it because it is not registered.

He has the vehicle in Vic in an unknown location and has told me lies such as he has taken the motor out of it, he has taken the tyres off it, etc. He now says he has a buyer for well under its value.

I was uncertain whether he can dispose of a joint asset if no agreement. He has also gone as far as saying he is sending me a bill for storage. I offered to collect the vehicle but he says it is part of the property pool.

We have been divorced since June 2017 and cannot agree on property settlement which includes the car. We have a low property pool so it is arguing over crumbs. He received a sizable inheritance prior to our divorce and his assets well exceed mine but not worth fighting in court. I am particularly interested in what I can do about the vehicle.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Go to the police, show them the rego certificate and say it was stolen because it is.

Otherwise, you are right, it's crumbs. My ex had a collectible vehicle that he registered in our son's name but was clearly my ex's. I fought over it for awhile but ended up spending too much money for no positive outcome for me. There were other vehicles he pulled the engines out of. $25,000 - $30,000 engines.

His stupid mechanic called me by mistake to talk about one of them he was storing for him so I knew he had them. I had the call record of the mechanic but the mechanic just denied it. Again, spent too much money fighting over it for no positive outcome.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Have the notional value included in the property split, assign the full value to him, then you get more cash/other assets.