NSW Property Law - Illegal to Put Up Posters in Public Toilets?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Gym's are not representative of the population and your results will likely be skewed.

Isabella

18 November 2018
Hey anyone know if it’s legal to put posters on the windshield wipers of cars in public car parks? e.g car parks of gyms or swimming centers etc.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No in public places and private property. On private property it can be done with the prior consent of the vehicle owner.

I note it will not be hard to find you as your details will be on the advertising.

Reactions: Isabella

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
@Rod - Is there any legislation in NSW that covers this sort of stuff, or is it a common law thing? Just wondering because I wouldn't mind reading up on it myself.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I haven’t looked into it, but try local council laws. They generally deal with this sort of thing (unless you’re sticking them on the side of a state or federal government building).

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Okay, it turns out that all of this is covered under "Littering" in Part 5.6A of the "NSW Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997". The relevant sections in this instance would be 144A, 145, 146A and 146B.

In short,

s144A - Definitions
advertising material means any paper product (including a leaflet, brochure or magazine), or other material thing, that contains advertising or promotional matter.​

s145 - Littering generally
A person who deposits litter in or on a public place or an open private place is guilty of an offence.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units. ($2,200)​

s146A - Depositing of advertising material
A person must not deposit any advertising material in or on any place, other than:
(a) in a receptacle that is provided for the deposit of mail, or
(b) in a receptacle that is provided for the deposit of newspapers, or
(c) under the door of any premises.
Maximum penalty: 5 penalty units. ($550)​

s146B - Advertising material not to be placed in or on vehicles
A person must not deposit any advertising material in or on any vehicle.

There are exceptions, so you should read the above sections in full. (It's mostly plain English and easy to understand - unlike a lot of other legislation.)

To summarize, you pretty much need to obtain permission to do anything discussed in this thread except for the letter box drop.

The full Act can be found here: www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/act/1997/156/whole

(There is also a "Party Pooper" clause at Section 146E that's worth reading if you have kids and an over zealous Council - I had no idea that one existed.) :D

Reactions: Tim W and Isabella

Isabella

18 November 2018
Okay, it turns out that all of this is covered under "Littering" in Part 5.6A of the "NSW Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997". The relevant sections in this instance would be 144A, 145, 146A and 146B.

In short,

s144A - Definitions
advertising material means any paper product (including a leaflet, brochure or magazine), or other material thing, that contains advertising or promotional matter.​

s145 - Littering generally
A person who deposits litter in or on a public place or an open private place is guilty of an offence.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units. ($2,200)​

s146A - Depositing of advertising material
A person must not deposit any advertising material in or on any place, other than:
(a) in a receptacle that is provided for the deposit of mail, or
(b) in a receptacle that is provided for the deposit of newspapers, or
(c) under the door of any premises.

s146B - Advertising material not to be placed in or on vehicles
A person must not deposit any advertising material in or on any vehicle.

There are exceptions, so you should read the above sections in full. (It's mostly plain English and easy to understand - unlike a lot of other legislation.)

To summarize, you pretty much need to obtain permission to do anything discussed in this thread except for the letter box drop.

The full Act can be found here: www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/act/1997/156/whole

(There is also a "Party Pooper" clause at Section 146E that's worth reading if you have kids and an over zealous Council - I had no idea that one existed.) :D

Thanks for that! Yeah I am getting permissions from gyms and other places. I placed them on my local library community board aswell. I just suddenly remembered that I’ve found a few ads on my car’s windshield before so I was wondering if it’s legal, lucky I asked!

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
No problem.

FYI, since you started this thread, I've googled a few things without much success. The latest discussion about cars prompted me to try "leaving pamphlets on cars" - expecting council results as Rob eluded to. To my surprise, the first result was from the EPA and referenced the legislation in the first paragraph.

I do lots of research on lots of different subjects and therefore use Goggle/Wiki/WebArchive A LOT - but I find Google both condescending and extremely frustrating. Years ago, it was really good - these days it mostly throws up unrelated rubbish. But persistence sometimes pays off - just need the right search term to throw up some meaningful results. :)

Reactions: Isabella