NSW Property Law - Illegal to Put Up Posters in Public Toilets?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Isabella

18 November 2018
Is it illegal to put up advertising poster in public toilets? Like behind each toilet door in public toilets in shopping centers and parks?

I am recruiting people for my university project, and would like to know if it’s ok to put up the recruitment poster in public toilets under property law.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Not without the approval of the owner of the door... such as council, or the shopping centre operator

Reactions: Isabella

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Same as power poles - you need permission but hardly anyone ever seeks it.
It's always a laugh to see the council tearing down the local pub's entertainment posters the day after they go up!
Although you don't see it that often - probably because it's really easy to figure out where to send the fine!

Isabella

18 November 2018
I’ve sent council and shopping malls emails and messages, awaiting replies.

I’m running out of ideas as to where to put up the posters. There isn’t any public noticeboards around nowadays anymore. I’ve tried online community pages and have only gotten a few people this way. Anyone has any suggestions to legal places to put up the poster?

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Can you give an idea of what you're asking for in the posters?
Maybe social media might be an option.

Isabella

18 November 2018
It’s about recruiting participants for a upcoming trial in regards to health and diet reminders. I’ve tried Facebook community pages. I’m also planning to ask gyms around the area.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Gyms would be a good idea considering the subject matter. Maybe try asking local GP's and Medical Centres if you can put one up in the waiting room as well. Basically, you would likely have the best chances if you target places or businesses that are somehow related to the subject of your study.

You could also print out some flyers and do a letter box drop. Nothing wrong with that as long as you obey any "no junk mail" stickers you come across. One advantage of letter box drops is that you can target a specific geographical area (if that is in any way relevant to you or the study.)

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Chemists would be another one - somewhere near the prescription counter where people have nothing to do while they wait (that's why waiting rooms are good too.)

Isabella

18 November 2018
Thanks! Never thought about letterbox drop! I will do that today!

Will also ask local medical centers. I want to wait till early January for the gyms as I figure that’s when everyone will be rushing to get fit after the holiday season.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
You're welcome. Best of luck with the trial.