WA Property - Division Of Bond Money?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Perth83

18 September 2014
Hello,

I am hoping that this will be a fairly straight forward question.

My husband and I separated in 2010 (separation). At the time I was working part time and had been living with him for a number of years. So in order for me to obtain a rental property he had to co-sign the lease as he earned significantly more than me. He also paid my bond amounting to $1300 and gave me $600 to set up house as well as some second hand furniture.

As he requested I leave the family home and was earning over $250k a year and I didn't receive another cent from him for a 3 year period until our divorce. I was under the impression that was money he had given me to start again after his affair... I have recently moved out of my house and he is now requesting the bond in full. Can you please advise me of my rights?

Thank you for your help!

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I assume you've already done a property settlement?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Perth83,

As AllForHer has asked, have you and your ex husband reached some sort of property settlement in writing? If not, renegotiate with him as you may be entitled to much more than what he is willing to offer you.