NSW Private lemom car purchase! Please help!

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

StarTas123

13 August 2017
Hi all,

I am really hoping someone can help me because I am honestly at breaking point.

In April 2017 my husband and I purchased a second hand Navara privately. It was advertised on Gumtree as " in good condition" (I have a copy of the add). We did the NSW rego and a REVS check and everything came back clear. We checked the vehicle and it seemed fine so we purchased it on the spot.

The next day we took it to our mechanic for a check/pink slip renewal which was due in a few weeks. A small issue with lagging start-up when cold (which we didnt notice on they day because the seller must have got it warmed and running before we got there) turned into such a debacle! The mechanic pulled the engine a part and kept finding more problems - it has cost us 12k and 6 weeks of pure stress so far.

We thought it was all fixed but has broken down again!

On top of this, the car is and was advertised as a diesel which looks fine on our online checks. HOWEVER, a check for the actual engine numbers come back to a petrol car that we dont have any more info on. It seems as though something dodgey has happened somewhere and a a VIN/plates from another car have been put on our vehicle. The details closely match up so noone picked it up until the mechanic had to pull the engine a part and noticed the discrepancy. We have contacted the police who keep telling us the vehicle is not stolen, despite having different identifying numbers (I think the person we spoke to was confused by the situation).

I am at a loss. The car has broken down and already cost us so much. We are a normal working family sith young kids and cant afford more repairs and never would have brought it if I had known any of this.

Does anyone know if I could try to recoup my loss by taking the seller to court over misrepresentation of contract information? Surely he must have known there was 10k+ of engine damage at least!

Thankyou for reading this.