Bought a faulty car

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Marciana

18 March 2020
Hello, I've just moved to Queensland a month ago, today I purchased a 2011 Ford Focus off a private seller for $6,200. Yesterday my Aunty and I visited the seller of the vehicle to have a look and a test drive. While I was test driving the vehicle I felt small jolts when accelerating from stop, nothing too alarming compared to the next day. I asked the seller why was the car doing that, he replied that it was just the type of car being a 'sport' model and that's just the gears changing, nothing to worry about he says. Later on he goes on to say that every now and then the engine light comes on but that is because the 'heater sensor' is not working. Saying the car has had a check and it's all fine. The issue with the vehicle is that the gearbox is buggered. When I accelerate the revs of the car go crazy and the car jolts forwards. Which leaves the car very unsafe to drive and illegal to sell. I did not notice the severity of this issue until after I had purchased the vehicle and driven home, this is when the issue became more noticeable because of the constant stop and go through traffic lights. It's obvious that the seller knew of these issues as he has owned the car long enough to have known, and has come up with excuses as to why the car does that and why the engine light is on. I wanted to know if I can legally get my money back as he has sold me a broken car. Any helpful answers would be much appreciated as I am feeling very ripped off. My family and I have learned that the seller has lied about some things causing us to believe that he may be trying to hide from paying me back the money.