NSW Private car sales

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helowe

10 December 2022
Recently sold a 2004 4WD to an out of state buyer.
Within my add, I had disclosed some minor surface rust on doors as well as some wiring problems which would show some lights on the dash. During the 3 years of owning the car, I had no issues or breakdowns. Had driven the car on the beach half a dozen times, to which it was always heavily washed and cleaned after to prevent any salt damage.

The car had only just recently passed rego and pink slip to deem the car road worthy. The buyer from QLD also sent their own registered mechanic to check over car to give the financing of the car and buyer the green light to purchase. The mechanic noted no major issues and worthy of purchase. I had no issue with his choice of mechanic check over and welcomed the inspection.

I had sold the car in good faith detailing the minor issues that I was aware of also sending both video and photos of the disclosed wiring and door rust. Note, I was reluctant to sell as I’d loved the car and had no major issues.

Upon pickup of vehicle, I alerted buyer to the issues disclosed again prior to handover along with logbook of service history. Making sure he was fully aware of disclosed thought he seemed uninterested and eager to get on the road. The car was then driven up the coast to which it broke down 6 hours in.

I have since been contacted by his lawyer stating I had induced him into purchase with knowledge of issues.

Lawyer states I had advertised frequent servicing every 10,000-15,000 kilometres. This is false and was never advertised. Upon inspection out of state, lawyer declares doors need replacing and chazy has invasive rust issues to which I could have no knowledge of staying that it demonstrates extensive beach use. This during our time of ownership is again false. The buyer had also insinuated to plans to extensive upgrades to the car once returned to qld.

Lawyer is requesting a full refund, payment of repairs to date and payments of further costs of vehicle upkeep. Looking to total $15000 above the selling cost. I feel like it is a shame down to pay for the upgrades insinuated.

What are my options? I could have no knowledge of the issues declared and have sold the car privately in NSW. I am not in a position to financially refund the buyer.