QLD Police won’t help At all

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Splinter

29 January 2018
Posting for my brother in law.
Yesterday he was stopped at traffic lights. First in line. Next thing a triton Ute hit him from behind. His car is an XD falcon station wagon, so classed as a classic car. That may not mean anything to those of you not into old school cars but this car means a lot to my brother in law. They both parked and as it was raining and my brother in law in a little bit of shock only took a picture on his phone of the other guys drivers license front, didn’t think to get the back with his address on it. He asked if he was insured and he said no. He hasn’t heard anything from this guy at all. He went to the police and they said they can’t do anything as they were not called to the scene of the accident. My brother in law has checked his car over and it appears it has bent the chassis rails which means it will be classed as a right off. Is there anything he can do to get this guy to accept responsibility?

Clancy

6 April 2016
First of all, you need to check your insurance, even if it is only third party property insurance, they often have some extra protection against uninsured drivers.... (this is the kind of third party property insurance too go for).

Now the police wont help you get money out of the other driver even if they did attend the accident, that's not their job, they might hand the guy a fine or fines, but then that means he has less money to pay you!

A police report is certainly helpful if you have to take the guy to court, but you should have enough evidence anyway... (i am assuming you took pictures of the accident immediately after it happened before anyone moved off to the side)

Adam1user

5 January 2018
If your brother in law has comprehensive insurance, then there is no problem at all. All you need is the driver licence number, make a claim and the insurance will be able to get the current address and handle it from there. As you have a pic of the licence this is all you need for the insurance (comprehensive). If you have 3rd party, then you need to make a claim statement (I think this is what is called) which is through a lawyer, there will be fees of course. In this case you need to determine the cost of repairs and see if it is worth going through the court (court and lawyer fees). You may go through the court but will pay the lawyer and court fees and the amount you get will be less than spent on court and lawyer fees (financial decision), I was going to go through the court for a case of mine [but did not] but two lawyers advised if the amount of damage is less than $10k, it is not worth going through the court.

I hope that helps..

Splinter

29 January 2018
First of all, you need to check your insurance, even if it is only third party property insurance, they often have some extra protection against uninsured drivers.... (this is the kind of third party property insurance too go for).

Now the police wont help you get money out of the other driver even if they did attend the accident, that's not their job, they might hand the guy a fine or fines, but then that means he has less money to pay you!

A police report is certainly helpful if you have to take the guy to court, but you should have enough evidence anyway... (i am assuming you took pictures of the accident immediately after it happened before anyone moved off to the side)

My brother in law has just received this guys address and phone number. I suggested that he get a couple of quotes and take them to him or put them in his mailbox. I also suggested that if this guy doesn’t take responsibility then he should seek legal advise.

Clancy

6 April 2016
My brother in law has just received this guys address and phone number. I suggested that he get a couple of quotes and take them to him or put them in his mailbox. I also suggested that if this guy doesn’t take responsibility then he should seek legal advise.

You could also offer the other guy nominate a place to get a quote.... just as an enticement to help him own up and take responsibility. Because honestly, no one trusts the quotes obtained by the victim, would you?

Splinter

29 January 2018
You could also offer the other guy nominate a place to get a quote.... just as an enticement to help him own up and take responsibility. Because honestly, no one trusts the quotes obtained by the victim, would you?
Yes, I already told my brother in law that the day it happened.

Reactions: Clancy