QLD Passengers changed statement in order to claim compensation and bring charges

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jwilson18

20 February 2019
Hi All,
My nephew crashed his car after it hit a pothole at night when it was raining. He got injured more than the passengers (broke ribs, etc) but one of his two passengers went to hospital as well. One passenger was his step brother and the other was the step-brother's best friend. At the time, they both stated the driver was doing around the speed limit. Nephew was not charged. Two months later and suddenly nephew gets a call from police saying that both witnesses have changed their witness statements and even though there is no proof and it was raining, they are now charging him with dangerous driving. The mother of the friend has started threatening that she'll be suing for compensation for her son and his medical expenses ($2000 in dental but there was no facial damage?) but only to the amount of $20Kish which is the exact amount that insurance will be paying my nephew. As the step-brothers live together, all information has been passed around, except that the witness statements have been changed.

The mother of the other passenger (who is threatening to sue) somehow knew that my nephew is suddenly getting charged (before anyone else knew). Just to note, the moment she arrived at the crash scene she started taking photos of everything before checking on her son who was the first one in the ambulance. No lasting injuries from any of the boys according to their own information but suddenly its a different story.

How can police charge him and is there a way to fight this?
Thanks all.