VIC My Car Damaged by Another Reversing Car - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Razz3

20 December 2017
I drove into a Woolworths petrol station on the weekend, and paused to look for an LPG pump. I then became aware of a ute reversing rapidly towards me (from my right), which then smashed into the right/front of my car. Upon confronting this idiot, he then proceeded to blame me (there was no damage to his ute, about $3000 damage to my car) saying that I had smashed into him, and actually laughing at me and shaking his head when I tried to get him to admit what he'd done. Neither of us are insured (though he was driving a car with his company's name on the door).

The garage's manager assured me that his cameras would have clearly captured the incident, but told me I'd have to phone Woolie's head office to get the video. They're dragging their feet getting back to me so I'm worried it will be erased before I can get it (there're no witnesses.) The police refuse to get involved, telling me it's a civil matter.

Just wondering if there's anything else I could be doing here?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Get the video asap. Put your request in writing now before the video is overwritten/deleted. You may need to pay money else you need an urgent court order.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Yea, you have to keep on to them about the video. You may need a lawyer.

Once you get the video, you can send a copy to the ute guy and say to him that it is clear he is at fault, so may as well be reasonable and settle this out of court.