SA Is Dog Owner Liable for the Car Accident?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Timnuts

7 April 2016
Hi, I was in a car accident and I was the driver of my car. Last night at 8.55pm, I was on my way home and it was raining very heavily at times and I swerved to miss a dog that ran out in front of me, trying not to hit the it.

This turned into a slide with bakes on and all 4 wheels locked. I hit a parked car that did not have anyone in it.

I did all the correct things like the exchange of details. The police were not called and my vehicle was able to drive home. Range insurance made a police report number.

My question is, a guy that was on the scene first started yelling and abusing me, asking me for my number. I gave it to him 6 times as I was in shock still. I find out later the next day that the dog I swerved to miss was his and he has 2 Arab bull dogs. They look like a staffy.

The dogs were out of his yard across the road, not attended to and not restrained with a leash. After the accident and the damage to the 2 cars, is the dog owner liable for the accident because of my reaction to evade?

He would not give me his personal details and show me if the dogs where registered.

I'm one year in after not working due to a back injury at my workplace and it has flared up and sent pain from my already damaged back L4/L5 disk buldge because of the quick movements and twist I had to do to apply pressure on the brakes.

Can anyone help, please?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Get some legal help, sooner rather than later.

There's a chance that you have a claim based on the negligence of the dog owner, but you need to prove it.

Where injuries are involved you have strict time limits to apply at court for damages so don't stuff around. A personal injury lawyer will take some time to get all the facts together including medical reports so don't expect a lawyer to take your case and submit an application within one week.