VIC Police Required to Give 15 Minutes Before Taking Breath Test?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Franklint

7 March 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm not in trouble with the law, but curious about this. I was under the impression (from shows like RBT) that drinking within the five minutes prior to being breath-tested required the police (if you tell them) to give you a 15-minute grace period before taking a breath test, in order for any present mouth alcohol to dissipate. I've looked a bit at the legislation for a few states, and can't find any mention of this.

Does anyone know if this is accurate and, if so, where I could find it written under Traffic Law? Might it be in the internal code of conduct for police forces? It's a pretty crucial thing for drivers to know about.

Another friend thinks that one can dispute the accuracy of a breath test on-the-spot, requiring police to wait half an hour before retesting. That seems incorrect, but if you know anything about this please let me know.

Cheers,

Ponala

10 February 2015
No requirement for them to wait 15 minutes when giving you a preliminary breath test at the side of the road.

Your friend is wrong. You can't contest it at the scene. The initial road side test is an indication only and doesn't give an accurate 'evidentiary reading', allows the Police to form an opinion a person is under the influence and the power to require you to undergo an evidentiary breath test.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
The result of a roadside breath test (using, say, a handheld device)
can give rise to the kind of "reasonable suspicion" required
for police to arrest you on suspicion of PCA.