Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

Points of Claim Template for VCAT Domestic Building Conference

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Sarah K, 22 June 2014.

1. Sarah K

Sarah K Member

Hi. I am representing myself at a VCAT compulsory conference and I need to file a Points of Claim. Is there a template anywhere that I can use as a guide as to how to set it out? I have the information and points of law that I need to address, I just dont know how to set it out. There is a template for one to use for a Residential Tenancies matter, but mine is not a Residential Tenancies matter. My matter involves breaches of the Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995, Building Regulations 2006 and Building Code of Australia 2007. Can you direct me to a template or advise on how to set it out.
    many thanks
    Sarah K

2. Michael T

Michael T Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah,
    I think its the same format for the Points of Claim for if you have a Residential Tenancies matter or a Domestic Building Contracts matter. Have a look at this VCAT 'Frequently Asked Questions about Civil Claim disputes' fact sheet (particularly the bottom of page 2 to page 3 which outlines that ‘points of claim set out the applicant’s version of relevant events in a chronological order, in separate, numbered paragraphs … The applicant identifies the ‘building blocks of their case ... the things they must prove in order to succeed’).

You can also have a look at these previous VCAT decisions which quote parts of the relevant applicants' Points of Claim:
    I hope you find this helpful.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    John R likes this.