VIC Pets - Recourse After My Dog Attacked Someone?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bobby Allison

18 March 2019
Someone in my family, unfortunately, left the front door open and my dog ran out of the house to an individual yelling at someone in the street and attempted to bite them. The individual was intoxicated at the time and said that he was going to sue, after threatening to shoot my dog and 'come back and get me'. He later made another pass at my house a threatened me again and attempted to break my mailbox. He has made a complaint to the council and I presume he will try to sue for compensation of some kind.

What would be my best course of action? I understand this person's intent to contact the council but I feel that his response has left me on edge and concerned for those who live with me as this situation is highly distressing.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Someone in my family unfortunately left the front door open and my dog ran out of the house to an individual yelling at someone in the street and attempted to bite them. The individual was intoxicated at the time and said that he was going to sue, after threatening to shot my dog and 'come back and get me' - he later made another pass at my house a threatened me again and attempted to break my mail box. He has made a complaint to the council and I presume he will try to sue for compensation of some kind.

What would be my best course of action? - I understand this persons intent to contact the council but I feel that his response has left me on edge and concerned for those who live with me as this situation is highly distressing

Your best bet is to contact the police, that person did threat you so it is no joking matter. Get the police involved as soon as possible. You will have to address the dog issue either by him or you. The police will let you know what best course of action to take.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What would be my best course of action?

Call the police about the threats.

Only deal with the dog issue if it is raised by council or the person.