Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Paying Mortgage for Property in Ex's Name - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by ray crawford, 9 March 2016.

  1. ray crawford

    ray crawford Member

    9 March 2016
    Likes Received:

    I am currently living in England. My wife left 2 years ago and went back to Australia and has been granted a divorce in Australia (as of 16th February 2016). She left me with all the debts of our business and I have continued paying the mortgage payments on our property. Unfortunately, the property is in her name.

    My son and I are currently living in the property. She has a very successful job in Australia. I am a pensioner (68).

    Can anybody tell me what I can do next?
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Hi Ray, you can either negotiate with her to have the property transferred to your name, or apply to the family court to divide your assets as it sees fit. You can apply to the family court for orders up to 1 year after your date of divorce.

Share This Page