QLD Pay withheld as rent

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jayne1

20 December 2019
Can an employer withold pay in lieu of rent owed? when the job was advertised as casual, own accommodation ie. Caravan, required, free site and power supplied. There was no written contract for rent signed by either party and a copy of job ad has been retained outlining the site and power were free.
One weeks notice of resignation was given on this casual position as good will after completion of the documented required period of work stated in job ad, ie. 2 month position.
Kind Regards

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Not legally.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
when the job was advertised as casual, own accommodation ie. Caravan, required, free site and power supplied.
This is a bit confusing. I read this as "you are required to provide your own caravan, but site fees and power are paid for by the employer."

So what exactly is the "rent" for? Is it for a caravan, or is it for site fees? (They appear to be two very different things here.)

It might help to know the exact wording of the advertisement because it appears to me that you have to rent or hire your own caravan.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Nothing in writing = not legal.

Circumstances do not matter.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Nothing in writing = not legal.

Circumstances do not matter.
True - just trying to figure out what the employer is thinking here. It doesn't seem to make any sense at all, unless the OP actually rented a caravan from the employer.

Jayne1

20 December 2019
This is a bit confusing. I read this as "you are required to provide your own caravan, but site fees and power are paid for by the employer."

So what exactly is the "rent" for? Is it for a caravan, or is it for site fees? (They appear to be two very different things here.)

It might help to know the exact wording of the advertisement because it appears to me that you have to rent or hire your own caravan.
Hi Scruff, employer had no available place to stay so you need your own accommodation ie, caravan. As part of work package, you supply residence, they supply power and site to park on for free whist living and working there.